Welcome to the Parish Church of Carlton. The church is a good example of the work of George Edmund Street, the famous 19th century architect. It has been described by Pevsner as ‘his grittiest church’, and provides an oasis of calm in an otherwise busy environment.
The church was built for Edward Montagu, Earl of Wharncliffe in 1878/9. It was built in memory of his father, John, Lord Wharncliffe to serve the growing mining community of Carlton. It served as a Chapel of Ease to Royston Parish Church and was consecrated as a Parish Church on 11th August 1881 by Most Reverend William Thompson, Archbishop of York.
The Church comprises a nave, Lady Chapel and chancel. The most striking feature is its ‘saddle-back tower’ which is an important feature of the local landscape. The church contains a fine three manual JJ Binns Organ dating from 1898 (incorporating earlier work probably by Nicholson of Bradford). It has recently been re-built by Wood of Huddersfield.
A new gallery at the west end of the church has given us the opportunity to provide Community Facilities within the building. A generous grant from the Coalfields Regeneration Trust enabled this work to be done.
There is a fine War Memorial in portland stone in the lovely churchyard, which features many species of Daffodil in the spring.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Carlton Road, Carlton, Barnsley, S71 3EY
Opening Times: Most Saturday mornings 9:00am – 12:00pm. Please contact us to arrange a visit at other times.
Contact: 01226 723817
Directions: M1 J38. Turn left onto the A637. Cross the motorway and turn left onto B6131. At the t-junction turn right onto the A61 and then 2nd left onto Laiths Lane (B6132). Follow into Carlton, church on right.
Grid Reference: SE 366 101 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk