The church sits on a commanding hill and is visible from a considerable distance. The floodlit tower reminds one of the Lights of Christ, shining in the dark.
Many travellers have found sanctuary in this church over the centuries. It has an almost Monastic feel with its prayer soaked walls. Why not come and join in the many generations of people who have prayed in this church?
We do not know when a church was first established on this site but it is safe to assume that the main body of the church was built during the 12th century. There are pillars and windows from the Norman period. Until 1232 the church was under the patronage of York Cathedral, which endowed a Vicarage and 6 acres of land. During the next 300 years the aisles and chapel were added. Extensive restoration work was carried out in 1829.
The tower dates from the 15th century and there are traces of two chambers which were once attached to the upper parts of the north and south sides. There are four bells in the top chamber.
The Fitzwilliam family have two internal tombs from the 15th century. One is a knight from the battle of Agincourt. Other medieval tomb stones include a double semi-effigial figure and one of a huntsman. The vestry door and parish chest are also from the 15th century. The ceiling has some carved bosses.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Church Road, Wadworth, DN11 9BG
Opening Times: Open for Sunday services. Open for visitors on the last Saturday in every month 10:00am-12:00pm.
Contact: 01302 851974 or WadwithLove@googlemail.com
Directions: A1(M) J36. Take A630 to Rotherham. Turn left onto B6367 to Edlington. After Old Edlington turn left onto Cockhill Lane and cross motorway. Turn left onto Long Gate into Wadworth.
Grid Reference: SK 568 970 GB Grid
Click on a point of interest for more details.
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk