Please accept a warm invitation to visit our Grade 2 listed church which serves the small Pennine villages of Thurlstone and Millhouse Green. It is situated between the two villages on the A628 to the west of Penistone.
The church was consecrated in 1905 and built to the design of Hodgson Fowler of Durham. It was largely funded by the generosity of two local sisters, Mary and Hannah Bray, who died in 1895 & 1897. The land was given by Hugh Tomasson of Plumpton House, owner of the woollen mill across the road until its closure in 1931. Interestingly, money for the church bell and oak bell turret was given by James Durrans, whose family took over Tomasson's mill in 1935 - converting it to blacking manufacture, which still continues. Sir Walter Spencer Stanhope KCB of Cannon Hall, Cawthorne laid the Foundation Stone on 4th November 1904.
The beauty of the interior is a tribute to the skill and dedication of local craftsmen. The woodwork and fittings, including the font, designed by Hodgson Fowler, were made from English oak by the local joinery firm of Hawley, whose saw mill at Green Road, Penistone only recently ceased trading. The wagon roof to the chancel is especially impressive.
The carved wooden screen behind the altar (reredos) depicts aspects of the Crucifixion. It is not only interesting, and of excellent workmanship, but particularly significant having been carved by a woman - Clara Nokes was sister-in-law to the first Vicar.
Probably our most treasured possession is a beautiful altar frontal worked in gold thread and presented by the Spencer Stanhope family of Cawthorne. This work was done at Cannon Hall under the supervision of Lady Spencer Stanhope and a predecessor of a present church member was involved in the stitching of this superb piece. A further testimony to the skills of local people, this valuable and unique item may be viewed on request.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Manchester Road, Thurlstone, Sheffield, S36 9QS
Opening Times: From 10:00am – 11:30am every Tuesday. Otherwise by request.
Contact: 01226 763260 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions: M1 J37. Follow A628 to Manchester through Thurlstone village. Church set back on right.
Grid Reference: SE 229 034 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk