Welcome to this Grade II* listed church in the small village of Stainton. Stainton was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as ‘Stantone with Helgebi’ (Hellaby).
The present church is thought to have been built during the 12th century in the Norman style. It is believed that the site, including the graveyard, could have Saxon origins. The nave and chancel are Norman and there have been several restorations and additions over the years. In 1898 a general restoration of the church was undertaken, including a new roof, two new windows on the north side of the nave and one on the south-west.
The area of the village around the church was designated a conservation area in 1992.
There are interesting things to explore in and around the church. The lead-lined octagonal font dates from the 17th century. There are several memorials in church to the Pashley family, including the large one near the porch. There is evidence of old Norman windows and a Norman chancel arch into the chancel. The south chapel was added in the 14th century. It is also known as the ‘Holm Choir’, formerly belonging to the local Holm Hall. The window has three fragments of medieval glass, including two 15th century faces. They were found buried in the churchyard.
There are many interesting gravestones and monuments in the churchyard.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: School Lane, Stainton, Doncaster, S66 7QQ
Opening Times: Details of keyholders are in the church porch. To arrange a visit please ring 01709 813113.
Contact: 01709 813113
Directions: M18 J1. Take A631 to Maltby. At crossroads in Maltby turn left onto B6427 Grange Lane. Once through houses turn right onto Stainton Lane and follow into village. Go straight at roundabout and bear left onto School Lane. Church on right.
Grid Reference: SK 555 936 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk