Little is known about the early history of the church. The first reference dates from 1482, when it was one of a number of churches placed under the ecclesiastical authority of York by Archbishop Thomas Rotherham. At this time the church was dedicated to St Peter but the dedication was changed much later in history, possibly to distinguish it from the nearby church of St Peter at Letwell. The old church was demolished in 1820, and rebuilt by the Galley-Knight family, who owned the Firbeck Estate from the late eighteenth century to the mid 19th century. It was probably at this time the dedication of the church was changed.
Further work took place in 1844, when a north aisle was added to house the organ and the vestry; in 1877 the north aisle was opened up, the nave was re-roofed and the east end of the chancel rebuilt in the form of an apse. Finally, in 1900, a new tower was built to replace the one built in 1820.
The church has several fine stained glass windows and interesting hatchments and monuments, including some to the St Leger family. Anthony St Leger was the founder of the famous race in 1776 and the original racecourse was in an oval field above the village near the St Leger’s home – Park Hill Hall.
The churchyard is a designated site of special scientific interest.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: New Road, Firbeck, S81 8JY
Opening Times: Please contact 01909 540193 to arrange a visit.
Contact: 01909 540193 or email@example.com
Directions: M1 J31. Take A57 to Todwick and turn left at traffic lights to Dinnington. At roundabout go straight towards Letwell, after turning to Letwell turn left down Kid Lane into Firbeck.
Grid Reference: SK 561 883 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk