Visitors from around the world are welcome to visit this historic church. It occupies a slightly raised site on the northern edge of the vibrant market town of Epworth and the visitor is offered splendid views over the surrounding countryside.
St Andrew’s has its origins in the 12th century and has architectural features from the 12th to the 15th centuries, with some later additions. Both the church and town have strong connections to the Wesley family; Reverend Samuel Wesley was Rector here from 1695 to 1735. His sons John (the founder of World Methodism) and Charles (a prolific hymn writer) were born and brought up in Epworth. After his ordination John was curate for a time to his father and in later life, when he was denied access to the church to preach, he did so from his father’s tomb.
Outside the south door in the choir stands the tomb of Samuel Wesley the father of John and Charles. To the right hand side of Samuel Wesley’s tomb when facing the church is a very small headstone to a Thomas Cutforth. Thomas Cutforth was believed to be a highwayman who was executed in Lincoln Prison.
The green site immediately to the south of the church is the site of the Mowbray Manor House probably going back to the 12th century. The crest of the Mowbrays can be seen in stone in the north porch. At the rear of the nave is a 16th century parish chest with a lid carved from a single tree.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Church Walk, Epworth, DN9 1ES
Opening Times: The church is open 9am - 4pm everyday.
Contact: 01427 872080 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions: M18 J5 onto M180. At J2 take A161 to Gainsborough. In Epworth take 1st left onto High Street and bear left onto Church Street. Church is down a lane on the left.
Grid Reference: SE 783 038 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk