Welcome to All Saints.
Opened in 1875, the church was built to serve the needs of an ageing population who had worked or were working in the local mills or colliery in the valley. Our building bears the hallmarks of generosity, prayer, gratitude and the talents of both local and renowned craftspeople.
The site of our church was presented by John Kaye; the building was consecrated and dedicated by the Bishop of Ripon in 1875. In 1867 a young pro-active Rector, Fitzgerald Thomas Wintour, was determined that the village of Clayton West needed an Anglican presence. Previously villagers worshipped at High Hoyland All Hallows (built c1150 - c1170 and now a deconsecrated building).
There is much to see within our building, including:
Stone work - walls of hammer-dressed stone, a font in the style of the Early English period and a pulpit of Caen stone, supported by alabaster pillars.
Wood work - the Wintour memorial to a naval captain who fought in the Battle of Jutland in 1915, a decorative reredos celebrating the lives of Celtic saints, a free-standing oak altar made in the village during the 1980s, oak candlesticks and votive candle stand made in the village at the end of the 20th century and the organ screen carved by the organist in the 1950s.
Glass work - Kempe windows, from both father and son (their signature is a bale of straw, with the addition of a castle for the son's work); different glaziers designed both the north sanctuary window and the window behind the font.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Church Lane, Clayton West, Huddersfield, HD8 9NT
Opening Times: 8:00am – 4:00pm (November - March) & 8:00 – 5:00pm (April – October)
Contact: 01484 864055 or email@example.com
Directions: M1 J38. Follow A637 through West Bretton to large roundabout. Take A636 to Clayton West/Denby Dale/Holmfirth. At the ‘Junction Inn’ turn left turn and follow until second right, which is Church Lane.
Grid Reference: SE 258 110 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk