St Augustine’s promises a warm welcome to all visitors, whether they are looking in on their parish church or have a special interest in stained glass. As the home of two rather different Church of England congregations it demonstrates how contemporary worship makes use of a traditional building.
The parish of St Augustine’s was created in 1896 to meet the needs of the new estates springing up around the Ecclesall Road. The £10,000 needed to build the church was raised in under two years, and the church opened in 1898.
The magnificent east window by Charles Kempe is a memorial to the key fund raiser for the building, Archdeacon William Favell. Further Kempe windows on the north and south aisles were installed, several as memorials to parishioners who died in the First World War. They depict a range of English saints.
The church houses the memorial to the crew of an American bomber which crashed in 1944 in nearby Endcliffe Park, killing all the crew. There are also three murals showing the life of St Augustine of Canterbury (to whom the church is dedicated) and a mosaic of the other St Augustine – of Hippo.
In 1973 three bays at the west end of the church were cut off to make the church hall, which now provides meeting space for several local societies
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Brocco Bank, Sheffield, S11 8RQ
Opening Times: Please contact us to arrange group or school visits, or to find out about opening times. Revd Ian Draffan - email@example.com
Contact: 0114 266 2188 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions: M1 J33. Parkway to Sheffield. At Park Square take 3rd exit. Next roundabout turn right, 2nd roundabout left onto Ecclesall Road. At Hunters Bar right onto Brocco Bank. Church on right.
Grid Reference: SK 333 860 GB Grid
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk