Welcome to St Peter’s, once was one of the richest livings in the country, thanks to Tithe income, endowments and mineral royalty payments. The church of the Manor House and later the Hall, it is situated in the original settlement on Tankersley and offers visitors a most interesting and peaceful visit.
We know from the Doomsday survey that the church existed in 1086. There is Saxon stone built into the outer wall on the south side of the Chancel.
The oldest part still standing is the arcade dividing the nave from the north aisle, which is 12th century. The chancel was built in the early 13th century, and the roof was altered in 1300 to allow the insertion of clerestory windows. There was much building activity between 1460 and1500, evidence of which is interesting to spot. It includes the distortion of the chancel arch, as it was altered to take different Rood Screens.
The porch contains fragments of coffin lids from 12-13th centuries. In the chancel is the tomb of Thomas Toytill, a priest who died in 1492, and there are cannon balls reputedly from the Battle of Tankersley Moor in 1643.
The Bishop’s chair is constructed from 12th century oak beams from St Magnus’ Cathedral, Orkney. It was made into a copy of the chair Queen Mary sat on when she married Phillip of Spain
In the south aisle is the lovely Ellen Walker memorial window, designed by Byrne Jones and made by Morris & Co in 1879. The porch gates were designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens in 1901. The village’s beautiful Arts & Crafts War Memorial is housed within the church. The churchyard contains memorials reminding us of an industrial past.
If you know anything more about the heritage of this site and would like us to include it here please contact us.
Address: Black Lane, Tankersley, Barnsley, S74 0DT
Opening Times: Please telephone to arrange access.
Contact: 01226 350793 or 0114 2848324 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions: M1 J36. Follow A61 to Sheffield. Turn left at Church Lane/Tankersley Manor Hotel and follow road for half a mile, turn right into Black Lane. Church is on the left.
Grid Reference: SK 349 995 GB Grid
Click on a point of interest for more details.
The text has been written by volunteers from the site, more information can be found when you visit in person.
Designed by TownTalk